Air Source Heat Pumps
How Do Air-Source Heat Pumps Differ From Ground-Source Heat Pumps?
Basically, ground source heat pumps use the average ground temperature to generate energy for heating and cooling. Air-source heat pumps use outside air and move heat. Both can be used for space heating, domestic hot water and cooling.
Does Climate Matter?
An air-source heat pump can provide efficient heating and cooling for your home, especially if you live in a warm climate. When properly installed, an air-source heat pump can deliver one-and-a-half to three times more heat energy to a home than the electrical energy it consumes. This is possible because a heat pump moves heat rather than converting it from a fuel, like in combustion heating systems.
Although air-source heat pumps can be used in nearly all parts of the United States, they do not generally perform well over extended periods of sub-freezing temperatures. In regions with sub-freezing winter temperatures, it may not be cost effective to meet all your heating needs with a standard air-source heat pump. However, new systems with gas heating as a backup are able to overcome this problem.
Are Air-Source Heat Pumps a Viable Alternative to Geothermal Heat Pumps?
TJ’s does see air-source heat pumps as a viable alternative when drilling is not an option. Air-source heat pumps allow residents with smaller green space, or a limited budget, to consider this alternative to fossil fuels, without the high cost and large amount of space needed for well drilling. Even with the necessity of a backup heat source, in colder climates, this allows them an affordable alternative energy option. TJ’s typically specifies high-efficiency gas-fired condensing boilers, as backup heat sources, on our geothermal installations so an air-source heat pump installation is not different in that regard. Below, we have listed a few products by Daikin that we consider to be highly efficient and a great option for our space-challenged, or budget conscious, customers.
Contact us today to discuss whether an air-source heat pump could be a solution for your heating and cooling needs.
Daikin Heat Pump Products
Today, Daikin is revolutionizing air conditioning in North America with some of the most technologically and aesthetically advanced solutions ever introduced. These intelligent, energy efficient systems provide an unprecedented level of individual comfort and control. It’s a leap beyond air conditioning to the experience of complete comfort. Daikin® AC™ — Absolute Comfort.™ Click here to watch their video to learn more…
Daikin Altherma is an innovative system that heats, produces domestic hot water and can even cool spaces. Daikin Altherma offers maximum comfort the whole year through. These heat pumps are also an interesting alternative for classic gas or fuel oil heating as they offer unique benefits:
- They use renewable energy sources (such as outside air)
- They deliver considerable savings in energy
- They deliver a significant contribution in the fight against CO2 emissions
- They can provide heating, cooling and domestic hot water
The Daikin Altherma system can be combined with:
- Under floor heating, one of the most comfortable heating methods
- Fan coil units
- Low temperature radiators to provide the comfort required
In addition, it can be connected to:
- A domestic hot water tank to supply your hot water needs
- Solar collectors, with optional solar kit, to compliment the production of hot water
- A room thermostat, to regulate the ideal temperature easily, quickly and conveniently
Daikin Quaternity incorporates extensive technological innovations giving features and benefits that deliver a solution significantly superior to a traditional “mini split” system. The system delivers one of the highest efficiencies on the market, with added features such as being able to set and monitor relative humidity, an integrated air cleaner module, and an excellent range of cooling and heating capacities. Quaternity represents a solution offering complete peace of mind.
Features and benefits:
- First heat pump system in the world capable of controlling humidity levels to a determined setting.
- Purifies and removes allergens from the air. Daikin’s Flash Streamer technology is proven to deliver over 1,000 times faster purification versus normal “plasma” type systems.
- Up to SEER 26.1 and EER 15.8, one of the highest energy efficiencies in the market.
- Delivers incredible heating capacity at lower ambient temperature (down to -4ºF).
- One outdoor unit (RXG) connects to one wall-mounted indoor unit (FTXG)
- Quick and easy duct-free installation
- Precision temperature control for individual rooms
- Space-saving design
- Simple to use wireless infra-red remote controller shows ambient temperature and room temperature
- Comfort and sound set-back ability with very quiet operation
- Quiet operation
Latest Press Releases
July 10, 2014
Early AC Retirement Rebates
Cool Smart Early AC Retirement Rebates now available for installations completed July 1, 2014 – November, 30, 2014